Tuesday 1 June 2010

Musicians needed! (unpaid)

I am looking to recruit musicians to score my animation. Ideally I would like someone who is able to watch an animation and give a musical response to what is on screen. Unfortunately as this is a student project I have no money to offer, the only incentive I can give is that you will receive a credit on the animation and you can have a copy so that you can use it promote your scoring ability.

There are 3 animations that will be shown side by side in a triptych format. This means that the 3 animations will play simultaneously side by side. I would like the sound to be broken up so that there is a specific sound-track for each animation that can be played alone with its assigned animation, or can be played when the animations are shown together. It's destined to be shown as an installation at the NUCA MA show in September. The triptych will be projected in it's entirety with the accompanying music being played through speakers. In the same room there will be monitors and headphones to show the 3 separate animations with their component of the soundtrack being played through the headphones.

Originally I had thought that something along the lines of the bass, melody and percussion being separated to score each individual part of the animated triptych. I have considered it carefully and think that I need to seek advice from musicians on how to break up the soundtracks so that they will sound good alone or when played simultaneously. Although I have some experiences in scoring an animation I have no experience in writing music and very little experience at even playing an instrument.

These are 2 of the test animations that I have done so far, they are designed to be played in portrait format so either tilt your head or screen to view them as they are supposed to look:



Ego 1





Ego 2



The animation style is quite abstract so you might have to be abstract in your musical approach. Although I have traditional instruments in mind at the moment (I would be very interested in hearing from a cellist) I am open to suggestion on what kind of instruments or techniques to use.

If you are interested either reply to this blog with your contact details or send an e-mail to:

Julie.Garrod@student.nuca.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment