Tuesday 8 June 2010

Shadow Animation

I have started work on the Shadow part of the triptych. So far I have had 3 tries at the shadow. The first one wasn't very successful, the look was wrong and the software/camera let me down before the end. The 2nd and 3rd attempts were much better. The tone is darker and I have found a few ways to reduce the stress on the software.

Shadow 1



I used red beads as I rather liked the idea of having the bright red glass next to the Phthalocyanine green colour. Although it did look quite beautiful it is too light and colourful and more apt for the Persona panel. I carried on and had fun with different techniques but the camera and Mac stopped communicating and too much time elapsed for it to be worth continuing with. I think that Dragon was set to capture on 2's so it put more strain on the system. In order to ensure that this doesn't happen again I will always opt to shoot on 1's so that the amount of frames on the HD is reduced and Dragon has less to do. I had also had other software open (Firefox and Quicktime) so I have decided to bring my laptop with me so that I can update my blog and watch the previous animations as reference without fear of overloading the software and hardware.

Shadow 2



The 2nd attempt was more successful, I used some pink/brown beads as these looked more dingy and less vivid than the red beads. As the tree develops on the Ego panel I decided that roots should form on the Shadow panel. I filmed quite close up and will have the camera further away for the Persona panel.

Shadow 3




This is the version that I decided to edit together with the Ego 4 animation in order to see if the animations would work when played side by side. I timed the movements by making a note of the times when actions occur in the Ego 4 animation and making sure that the action in the Shadow panel complimented what was occurring in the Ego panel.


2 Panels



When the Shadow is placed side by side with the Ego animation it's easier to see how the triptych might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment