Tuesday 18 May 2010

Update 4

Today's effort was infinitely more successful than the last from a technical perspective. I moved into room 98 which has a much better light-box so I eliminated the problem of the flickering light. I also remembered to put the focus lock on!

One of the things that I am beginning to realise is that each animation will be quite individual and although I am essentially trying to replicate the good parts of each animation, to do this exactly using my chosen method would be impossible.

I am slowly eliminating certain materials and concepts. During the last animation (Ego 1) I found that the ending, when I used rice, seemed to be the least effective part. This could be due to either the concept or the materials. I had overworked the medium and the oil had been emulsified by the detergent. I decided to add the rice as I felt that this might remedy the situation. I realised afterwards that I should probably have used the space more effectively, moving from one part of the 'canvas' to another which would ensure against overworking.

The narrative element was also an issue as I felt that by introducing another figure with as much emphasis as my own it was no loner about one persons psyche but about a relationship, and that isn't what this piece of work is about. I wanted to include Duncan as I think that he has been incredibly important in my personal development but maybe I can reflect his influence without showing him so figuratively?

I brought some artists pigment to use instead of using make-up as cosmetics seem to be a lot more expensive than art materials. I just brought 3 colours, orange/brown, red and green. The red is especially nice and looks quite blood-like. The colours are more vivid than most of the make-up pigments and they are also not as reflective which works out better as I am lighting the animation from below.

Ego 2 (today's animation) uses he space more effectively than Ego 1 and has different qualities. The figure appears more fluid and drips and squeezes itself from one place to another. The use of space is symbolic of my own decent and subsequent ascent. The figure starts off in the centre and like before is born from the separation of the 'tree' into the two parent halves. This part wasn't as well timed as it was in Ego 1 as the action is a little on the fast side and the figure doesn't seem as clear.

Below is a comparison of the two animations at various stages. My comparison ends at the point when the rice is introduced in Ego 1, as I feel that I should have stopped there.











I need to gain some feedback on the animations so far so I have recruited a few people to give their opinion. I would like a good cross-section of people, so first I am looking more for people who are not involved in creative arts so that I can see if this kind of animation will appeal to an audience with no prior knowledge. It's much easier for me to find creative people who are willing to comment. Those who label themselves as having little or no creative ability often feel too intimidated to comment on this type of work as they feel unqualified to do so. I would like my work to be appreciated on an instinctive level, meaning that most people should feel compelled to watch. Much like how people like to watch flames or clouds.

In order to obtain feedback I have made a blog post which has Ego 1 and Ego 2 embedded alongside a brief explanation and an e-mail address to send feedback to. I have posted a message on my Facebook page and on a message board where I am a moderator. So far I have about 3 volunteers, 2 of which would say that they are 'clueless' about this kind of thing. I may widen my search by trying to recruit through CCN on the non-creative courses.

Until I get some feedback I am not sure what has worked and what hasn't. I feel that Ego 2 uses the space more effectively and some of the narrative elements like the dropping of the stone work very well (see images below) but the figure is much clearer in Ego 1.





At the end of the Ego 2 animation I used some of the green make-up pigment to fill a circle with and this is symbolic of my personal achievement. I used the make-up because the green is really vivid and has a calming effect. It's not unlike the green that appears at the end of Ego 1 as they occupy the same position (see below) but it's more effective when that particular colour has yet to be used in the animation as it symbolises change.



What I need to do now is to try and fine tune my technique so I have better control over the outcome.

Ego 2

No comments:

Post a Comment