Thursday 12 August 2010

Update 7

It's looking likely that I will now have 2 soundtracks for the animation. I have the soundtrack that Phil produced and the one that Daniel and I produced.

Phil's soundtrack

Phil used software to track the shapes and movement and to manipulate the sound accordingly. When that was finished we consulted, I made some suggestions and Phil built another layer of sound that corresponded with the figurative parts of the animation, then changes were made to alter the mood of the sound towards the end. He then split the sound into 3 for the individual animations.

Daniel's soundtrack

Daniel performed 3 guitar improvisations before he had seen the triptych, 3 during his first viewing and 3 after. I edited the 9 soundtracks in Logic mostly by automating the volume to vary the amount of tracks that were heard at any one time. This ensured that there weren't 9 tracks playing at once and isolated the sounds that were appropriate to what was happening on screen. I didn't cut or paste any parts, just left the tracks where they were as I felt that this was part of the improvised process. I tried to make it work when separated as well as when the triptych is complete but this proved problematic.

There were a few other people that would have liked to work on soundtracks for this but due to the timescale they weren't able to complete anything. I'm feeling quite relieved that I managed to get 2 soundtracks out of the possible 9 musicians that originally volunteered, it just shows that sometimes it really is a numbers game when relying on other people. If I had only approached one person about this I would be struggling by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment